INDIAN CUSTOMS AND CENTRAL EXCISE SERVICE
Indian Customs and Central Excise Service (IC&CES) is one of the main civil services. The Indian Customs and Central Excise Service is responsible for the functioning and management of the country’s custom and excise departments. It is an important career choice and offers attractive positions, career growth and remuneration.
An Indian Customs and Central Excise Service officer deals with the tasks of formulation of policy concerning levy and collection of Customs & Central Excise duties and Service Tax, prevention of smuggling and administration of matters relating to Customs, Central Excise, Service Tax and Narcotics to the extent under the purview of Central Board of Excise and Customs (CBEC). The Board is the administrative authority for its subordinate organizations, including Custom Houses, Central Excise and Service Tax Commissionerates and the Central Revenues Control Laboratory. The key functions are enumerated below:-
- Levy and collection of Customs and Central Excise duties and Service Tax
- Registration and monitoring of units manufacturing excisable goods and service providers
- Receipt and scrutiny of declarations and returns filed with the department
- Prevention of smuggling and combating evasion of duties and service tax
- Enforcement of border control on goods and conveyances
- Assessment, examination and clearance of imported goods and export goods
- Implementation of export promotion measures
- Clearance of international passengers and their baggage
- Resolution of disputes through administrative and legal measures
- Sanction of refund, rebate and drawback
- Realization of arrears of revenue
- Audit of assessments for ensuring tax compliance.
- Dissemination of information on law and procedures through electronic and print media
- Enabling filing of declarations, returns and claims through online services.
- Providing information on the status of processing of declarations, returns and claims
- Assisting the right holders in protecting their intellectual property rights
- Responding to public enquiries relating to Customs, Central Excise and Service Tax matters
- Providing Customs services such as examination of goods and factory stuffing of export goods at clients’ sites, as per policy.
Procedure to Join Indian Customs and Central Excise Service
Aspirants can join for the Indian Customs and Central Excise Service mentioned above by applying for the Civil Services Examination on the UPSC website on advertisement of vacancies. To check the eligibility conditions, syllabus and pattern of the Civil Services Examination please click here.
Central Board of Excise and Customs (CBEC) is a part of the Department of Revenue under the Ministry of Finance, Government of India. It offers good Career graph prospects almost at par with other services. The career graph and rank profile of the officers is as follows:-
- Assistant Commissioners (Customs/ Central Excise)
- Deputy Commissioners(Customs/ Central Excise)
- Additional Commissioners (Customs/ Central Excise)
- Commissioners (Customs/ Central Excise)
- Member (Central Board of Excise and Customs)
- Chairman (Central Board of Excise and Customs).
Probationers to the customs service begin their field training at Madras while the excise officers may start service in any metropolitan town. Custom officers are posted at international airports and ports like, Mumbai, Calcutta, Chennai, Goa, etc. They could be posted at other border and coastal towns. Their principal duty is to levy customs’ duty on goods, which are brought to the country. Customs & excise cadres are not watertight compartments. Officers are liable to transfer from one to another, depending upon their experience and the exigencies of the work.
The head of the administration is the Chairman Central Board of Excise and Customs.Chief Commissioner of Customs and Excise, with the pay of an Additional Secretary holds technical and administrative charges in all the regions, exercising overall supervision on the technical and administrative work.
For more information about Central Board of Excise and Customs jobs please visit Union Public Service Commission website http://www.upsc.gov.in/.
For more jobs and job related queries please visit manyogjobs.com.
For Indian military veteran specific jobs visit fauziveterans.com.