Kannada – Syllabus for Indian Civil Services Examination
Kannada forms an optional subject for the Indian Civil Services Examination. The Subject Syllabus for Indian Civil Services Examination is as given below.
PAPER – I
(Answers must be written in Kannada)
- History of the subject language – What is Language? General charecteristics of Language. Dravidian Family of Languages and its specific features, Antiquity of Kannada Language, Different Phases of its Development. Dialects of the subject language : Regional and Social Various aspects of development of Kannada Language : phonological and Semantic changes. Language borrowing.
- History of the subject language Literature – Ancient Kannada literature : Influence and Trends. Poets for study : Specified poets from Pampa to Ratnakara Varni are to be studied in the light of contents, form and expression : Pampa, Janna, Nagachandra. Medieval Kannada literature : Influence and Trends. Vachana literature : Basavanna, Akka Mahadevi. Medieval Poets : Harihara, Raghavanka, Kumar-Vyasa. Dasa literature : Purandra and Kanaka. Sangataya : Ratnakaravarni
- Modern Kannada literature : Influence, trends and idealogies, Navodaya, Pragatishila, Navya, Dalita and Bandaya.
- Poetics and literary criticism : Definition and concepts of poetry : Word, Meaning, Alankara, Reeti, Rasa, Dhwani, Auchitya. Interpretations of Rasa Sutra. Modern Trends of literary criticism : Formalist, Historical, Marxist, Feminist, Post-colonial criticism.
- Cultural History of Karnataka Contribution of Dynasties to the culture of Karnataka : Chalukyas of Badami and Kalyani, Rashtrakutas, Hoysalas, Vijayanagara rulers, in literary context. Major religions of Karnataka and their cultural contributions. Arts of Karnataka : Sculpture, Architecture, Painting, Music, Dance-in the literary context. Unification of Karnataka and its impact on the subject language literature.
(Answers must be written in Kannada)
The paper will require first-hand reading of the Texts prescribed and will be designed to test the critical ability of the candidates.
- OLD KANNADA LITERATURE
- Vikramaarjuna Vijaya of Pampa (cantos 12 & 13), (Mysore University Pub.)
- Vaddaraadhane (Sukumaraswamyia Kathe, Vidyutchorana Kathe)
- Medieval Kannada Literature :
- Vachana Kammata, Ed: K. Marulasiddappa K.R. Nagaraj (Bangalore University Pub.)
- Janapriya Kanakasamputa, Ed. D. Javare Gowda (Kannada and Culture Directorate, Bangalore)
- Nambiyannana Ragale, Ed., T.N. Sreekantaiah (Ta.Vem. Smaraka Grantha Male, Mysore)
- Kumaravyasa Bharata : Karna Parva (Mysore University)
- Bharatesha Vaibhava Sangraha Ed. Ta. Su. Shama Rao (Mysore University)
- Modern Kannada Literature
- Poetry : Hosagannada Kavite, Ed : G.H. Nayak (Kannada Saahitya Parishattu, Bangalore)
- Novel : Bettada Jeeva-Shivarama Karanta Madhavi-Arupama Niranjana Odalaala-Devanuru Mahadeva
- Short Story : Kannada Sanna Kathegalu, Ed. G.H. Nayak (Sahitya Academy, New Delhi).
- Drama : Shudra Tapaswi-Kuvempu. Tughlak-Girish Karnad.
- Vichara Saahitya : Devaru-A.N. Moorty Rao (Pub : D.V.K. Moorty, Mysore.)
- Folk Literature :
- Janapada Swaroopa-Dr. H.M. Nayak. (Ta. Vem. Smaraka Grantha Male, Mysore.)
- Janapada Geetaanjali-Ed.D. Javare Gowda. (Pub : Sahitya Academy, New Delhi.)
- Kannada Janapada Kathegalu-Ed. J.S. Paramashivaiah, (Mysore University.)
- Beedi Makkalu Beledo. Ed. Kalegowda Nagavara (Pub : Bangalore University.)
- Savirada Ogatugalu-Ed : S.G. Imrapura.
The Subject syllabus for Indian Civil Services Examination is subject to modification/change and it is advised to check up for the latest syllabus on the Union Public Service Commission website – http://www.upsc.gov.in/.
For Indian military veteran specific jobs visit fauziveterans.com.
You may also mail your job related queries at firstname.lastname@example.org.