Malayalam – Syllabus for Indian Civil Services Examination
Malayalam forms an optional subject for the Indian Civil Services Examination. The Subject Syllabus for Indian Civil Services Examination is as given below.
PAPER – I
(Answers must be written in Malayalam)
Unit 1-Early phase of Malayalam Language:
- Various theories: origin from proto Dravidian, Tamil, Sanskrit.
- Relation between Tamil and Malayalam: Six nayas of A.R. Rajarajavarma.
- Pattu school-definition, Ramacharitam, later pattu works-Niranam works and Krishnagatha.
Unit 2-Linguistic features of :
- Manipravalam-definition. Language of early manipravala works Champu, Sandesakavya, Chandrotsava, minor works. Later Manipravala works-medieval Champu and Attakkatha.
- Folklore-Southern and Northern ballads, Mappila songs.
- Early Malayalam prose Bhashakautaliyam, Brahmandapuranam, Attaprakaram, Kramadipika and Nambiantamil.
Unit 3-Standardisation of Malayalam:
- Peculiarities of the language of Pana, Kilippattu and Tullal.
- Contributions of indigenous and European missionaries to Malayalam.
- Characteristics of contemporary Malayalam : Malayalam as administrative language. Language of scientific and technical literature-media language.
Section-B Literary History
Unit-4 Ancient and Medieval Literature:
- Pattu-Ramacharitam, Niranam works and Krishnagatha.
- Manipravalam-early and medieval manipravala works including attakkatha and champu.
- Folk literature.
- Kilippattu, Tullal and Mahakavya.
Unit 5- Modern Literature-Poetry:
- Venmani poets and contemporaries.
- The advent of Romanticism-Poetry of Kavitraya i.e., Asan, Ulloor and Vallathol
- Poetry after Kavitraya.
- Modernism in Malayalam poetry.
Unit 6- Modern Literature-Prose:
- Short story
- Biography, travelogue, essay and criticism.
(Answers must be written in the subject language script)
This paper will require first hand reading of the texts prescribed and is designed to test the candidate’s critical ability.
- Ramacharitam-Patalam 1
- Kannassaramayanam-Balakandam first 25 stanzas.
- Unnunilisandesam-Purvabhagam 25 slokas including Prastavana
- Mahabharatham Kilippattu Bhishmaparvam.
- Kumaran Asan-Chintavisthayaya Sita.
- Sankara Kurup-Perunthachan.
- V. Krishna Variar-Tivandiyile Pattu.
- ONV -Bhumikkoru Charamagitam
- Ayyappa Panicker-Kurukshetram.
- Akkittam-Pandatha Messanthi
- Attur Ravivarma-Megharupan.
- Chanthu Menon-Indulekha
- O V Vijayan-Khasakkinte Ithihasam.
- MT Vasudevan Nair-Vanaprastham (Collection).
- N S Madhavan-Higvitta (Collection).
- C J. Thomas-1128-il Crime 27.
- Kuttikrishna Marar-Bharataparyatanam
- K Sanu-Nakshatrangalute snehabhajanam
- T. Bhattathirippad-Kannirum Kinavum.
The Malayalam Subject syllabus for Indian Civil Services Examination is subject to modification/change and it is advised to check up for the latest syllabus on the Union Public Service Commission website – http://www.upsc.gov.in/.
For Indian military veteran specific jobs visit fauziveterans.com.
You may also mail your job related queries at firstname.lastname@example.org.